Happiness is my state of mind. There is nothing that I can’t do. I know I can. I am the creator of my own life while the invisible hand of God is guiding me through it. Words like – I can’t…, I don’t…- are not a part of my everyday dictionary.
Because everything is possible. If I want to conquer the world, I’m going to conquer the world. It’s as simple as that.
Those are the words I wrote sometime last year as a caption for a photo I posted to my Instagram account. Today, almost a year later, I still live by those words. It’s the reality I am witnessing constantly. Day in, day out.
But has it always been that way? Well no, of course it hasn’t.
A long time ago I used to be just another wanderer, lost in my dreams and misunderstood. I was in constant search for my happiness. For something that belongs to me.
And when it seemed like I had found it and it was within my reach – it slipped away.
Why? – I would ask myself very often, but I had no answer.
Why? – Today I know.
I had the wrong beliefs about happiness. I likened it to being something from the outside. I believed that my happiness was “somewhere out there” and that it was waiting for me.
And I wasn’t aware of the things I know now.
Because after a lot of work, work that was aimed at me (work that is still happening and will do so as long as I live), I came to the conclusion that happiness doesn’t come from somewhere outside, but from the inside and that it is a matter of the decisions and choices I make.
Happiness is inside us.
There is no thing or person that will be able to make us happy if we are not happy and grateful already.
Our happiness doesn’t depend on our parents or friends and at the least on our partner. Putting your own happiness into somebody else’s hands is not the best decision to make and believe me when I tell you, that you will probably not get to witness a happy outcome from that.
We have to love ourselves in order to love other people and in order for them to love us. And it is truly like that with happiness too.
I have decided to share 5 tips (which I abide to) about how to be happy:
- Be grateful. Gratefulness is the key to a happy and fulfilled life. Even in the moments when you seem stuck and you feel like everything is pointless – stop yourself for a moment and think about all the things you can be grateful for, and you and I know that there a lot of such things.
- Say NO. In my post It’s okay to say no I wrote about the importance of the magical word No. Remember: No means you have an opinion, that you respect yourself and your time enough to prioritize what is important to you.
- Don’t compare yourself to other people. And don’t you dare judge yourself by other people’s criteria. The way you are, with all your strengths and flaws, you are are unique, special and different. Don’t ever forget that.
- Forgive! Forgive your parents if they don’t understand you, if they are too strict sometimes. Because know that they are always doing the best they can, with the best intentions, so don’t hold it against them.
Forgive the person who hurt you in the past. But most importantly: forgive yourself for the mistakes you made. Forgive, so you can feel better and move on and for the sake of your own peace and happiness.
- Live in the moment. Life is not yesterday, it is not tomorrow. Life is today. Right now in this moment make sure you are living to the fullest – with no regrets, burdens or stressing about unimportant matters.
I really hope that I will inspire some of you and animate you to open your mind to all of this. Be the best version of yourself!